High quality ESL instruction to non-native speakers of English
This course helps students develop English language skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing for everyday situations. The class is taught using a student-centered communicative approach to English language learning. The total time of the course is 108 hours.
Length of Study
Listening & Speaking (C101)
This course focuses on basic English including lecture, vocabulary and grammar practice, and an expectation of participation every class session. Students read short texts, write about various topics introduced in class. Also, students practice listening skills through various types of audios. In addition, students discuss and present information to their classmates. The core competencies of reading, writing, listening, and speaking will be given equal importance.
Students will …
- Read several text types such as:
- Magazine articles
- Articles from a textbook
- Find information and ideas to write about different topics such as:
- People at a celebration
- Food at a celebration
- Activities at a celebration
- How to have fun with friends
-Listen to a various types of audio such as:
- Radio program
- Class discussion
- Use information and ideas to
- Interview a classmate. Then introduce him or her to the class.
- Give a presentation about a perfect school.
- Design a survey and interview a classmate.
- Have a group discussion about fun places in the area.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of Basic I level (first half), students will be able to
- Identify topic and main ideas of short text.
- Scan for names, dates, and times.
- Write simple sentences.
- Edit writing for capitalization and punctuation.
- Capitalize proper nouns correctly.
- Identify examples.
- Identify the speaker's reasons.
- Give your opinion.
- Agree and disagree.
- Pronounce simple present third-person -s/ -es.
- Stress important words in sentences.
- Reduce the pronouns he, him, her, and them.
- Use descriptive adjectives in sentences correctly.
- Use verb + noun collocations correctly.
- Use collocations for hobbies and interests in sentences correctly.
- Use antonyms in sentences correctly.
- Use prefixes and suffixes correctly.
- Use collocations with do, play, and go in sentences correctly.
- Use the present of be and simple present affirmative statements and questions correctly.
- Use adjectives, adverbs and adverbs + adjectives in sentences correctly.
- Use subject and object pronouns correctly.
- Use verbs + gerunds or infinitives correctly.