High quality ESL instruction to non-native speakers of English
This course introduces students to write a longer text and develop speaking ability in a longer conversation through focused topics. The class is taught using a student-centered communicative approach to English language learning. The total time of the course is 108 hours.
Length of Study
Listening & Speaking (C201)
Students will be able to communicate with and understand Intermediate I level written, spoken, and aural English. Students read several articles, write various types of paragraphs about various topics introduced in class, and actively participate in class discussions. In this course, the focus is on improving students’ ability to understand written and spoken English, and understand and discuss various aspects of American culture and society. The core competencies of reading, writing, listening, and speaking will be given equal importance.
Students will …
- Read several articles in a textbook.
-Gather information and ideas to write various types of writing such as:
- A plan for a successful family business.
- A paragraph describing the steps of a process.
- An opinion paragraph about nature in a city.
- An explanatory paragraph about an illness.
- Listen to a various types of audio such as:
- A news report
- A lecture
- An interview
- A talk
- A follow-up discussion after watching a video
-Gather information and ideas to
- Give a speech about family.
- Develop and present an educational game.
- Role-play an interview about surviving in an extreme environment.
- Participate in a discussion about the importance of clean water.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of Intermediate I level (second half), students will be able to
- Identify the author’s purpose.
- Identify claims and support.
- Write a paragraph with unified ideas.
- Describe a step-by-step process.
- Use a variety of sentences.
- Write an explanatory paragraph.
- Identify reasons and explanations.
- Identify dates and other numbers.
- Identify a speaker’s attitude.
- Identify facts and opinions.
- Express opinions.
- Give clear instructions.
- Summarize information.
- Participate in a group discussion.
- Use intonation in questions with or.
- Use correct word stress in compound nouns.
- Stress function words properly.
- Use suffixes and prefixes to change word forms.
- Use phrasal verbs correctly.
- Use collocations and compound nouns correctly.
- Use verbs, nouns and adjectives from word families.
- Use the future with will correctly.
- Use comparative and superlative adjectives correctly.
- Use the infinitive of purpose correctly.
- Use the simple past and past continuous correctly.
- Use adverbs of manner and degree correctly.
- Use auxiliary verbs in questions correctly.
- Use if clauses for future possibility correctly.